Thursday, February 4, 2010

the beard artist

Well, I was at Borders a few days ago and saw an awesome Alex Beard calendar and instantly snatched it up before anyone else could. I knew instantly that his amazing art would make for some killer envelopes. I've only made about half of the twelve possible envelopes, but the rest are already cut out from templates. Needless to say, as you look at the photos below I was pretty darn excited to get these envelopes made and sent off to people:

The calendar:


The five envelopes; L to R: faces, fish, horses, butterflies and snails.


Reply to a blog reader who sent me a lovely letter last week.


Also, I've been having fun turning security envelopes inside out to use the awesome patterns that are inside. The middle one has a blue wood-grain pattern, how cool is that?!

Haven't decided who the wood-grain one goes to but the one in front goes to Miss Jennie from Pod Pod Post/Good Mail Day and the one in the back goes to the lovely Micaela.



Last year one of my two calendars was of Marilyn Monroe, which had some beautiful and rare photographs of her that I just loved. It was a mini-calendar, so I decided to make some postcards out of the photos. Only 7 out of the 12 are made because I'm using a specific backing on all of them (The watercolor-paper-like material from Anthropologie shopping bags; I have zillions of 'em.) and haven't taken the time to deconstruct another bag, haha. But these seven are my most favorites, so it kind of works out well. None have been addressed yet, so if you're like one, here's your chance! Just email me at l.nicolephotos [at] gmail [dot] com with your name and address and I'll send one along it's way towards your mailbox! I chose not to show you all of them because 1. my photos didn't turn out right, haha; and 2. I thought it might be more fun for you to get a surprise pick in the mail! Just an FYI, the first three are an odd shape (not 4x6 or 5x7) so keep your fingers crossed they'll make it through the system okay!



Incoming as of the past week (Dry week for my mailbox sadly.)

Just today I got this sweet little missive from a girl in the UK, so awesome. It's my first letter, EVER from the UK, so needless to say I was pretty excited to see that Royal Mail label!


An adorable and lovely postcard from Ilona:


And last but not least I finally got this letter from Bee. As most of you know, her missives are some of the best to receive in your mailbox. <3




Thanks for being such awesome and faithful readers through all my busy-ness! Love you guys to pieces!
- L

4 comments:

  1. this post was totally worth waiting for! your envelopes are g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s and the postcards are fab!

    p.s. i like the word bubbles you use for the address...i saw it on bianca's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Marilyn Monroe postcards are so lovely! Nice work! I love that it looks like the 3-d letter 'O' on my letter got a little mashed in the postal machinery. Hope you enjoyed the letter. Love the Alex Beard envies too. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm the girl in the UK :) I'm so glad it got to you, handmade envelope and all! I would lovelovelove one of the Marilyn postcards, if you wouldn't mind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a great idea for a blog! I used to love having penpals!

    ReplyDelete

you're brilliant, thanks so much for commenting!